Thanksgiving is ONE week away! So much yes. Growing up it was my second favorite holidays (Christmas being first of course). I always woke up early to set the table (always my job that I took very seriously) and help my mom out in the kitchen. Pure bliss. My favorite dish then and now (besides dessert) was/is the sweet potato casserole. Back then we used candied yams, lots of butter, sugar, brown sugar and marshmallows. It’s no wonder why it was my favorite! It basically was a dessert in itself.
With that being said, I wanted to create a grown up, vegan version of my beloved childhood favorite dish. Trust me when I say….I created my new favorite thanksgiving dish. The best ever vegan sweet potato casserole with pecan crumble. I cannot wait to serve this up to my family next week. I know they are absolutely going to devour it. If you’re looking for a sweet potato casserole recipe, look no more. This is it my friend!
This vegan sweet potato casserole comes together in around an hour and requires just 10 ingredients!
- 3.5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 10 cups or 4 large sweet potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter (or normal butter if not vegan)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt & cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup pecans
- ⅓ cup AP flour (or flour of choice)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 4.5 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt cinnamon (optional)
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into medium size chunks.
- Place in a large pot with water and a healthy pinch of sea salt.
- Bring pot to a boil then lower to medium/high and boil until sweet potatoes are fork tender (about 15 minutes).
- In the meantime prepare your crumble. Add all crumble ingredients to a food processor and pulse a until combined (or you can do by hand just make sure you use pecan pieces). It took me only 5 or 6 pulses. You still want chunks! Set aside.
- Get full recipe==>>nutritionalfoodie.com