This version of Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta uses just a touch of cream cheese and Parmesan to make a regular tomato sauce ultra rich and creamy. If you’re not into cream cheese, you could also add a splash (1/4 cup or so) of half and half to achieve a similar effect.
I used regular pasta, but whole wheat would actually be pretty good in this and would add some extra fiber and nutrients to make it a more well rounded meal. I was lucky enough to get spinach on sale for $0.99 per bag (score!), but if fresh spinach is just out of your price range, this would also be really good with sliced mushrooms. Just cook the mushrooms along with the onions and garlic in the beginning. Or, hey, you could always do a plain creamy tomato sauce. Nothin’ wrong with that!
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 9 oz. bag fresh spinach
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender (7-10) minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander.
- While waiting for the pasta to cook, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Cook both in a large skillet with the olive oil over medium-low heat until softened and transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Get full recipe==>>budgetbytes.com