The recipe for this rich and hearty Italian Lentil Soup requires very little time, start to finish, and it takes advantage of lentils luscious state of tenderness. This is a humble soup made with the most humble of ingredients.
This hearty Italian Lentil Soup can be made in under an hour, but it gets better as days go by because it keeps absorbing its few flavors, basil, oregano, dill, and especially the flavor of a good olive oil.
A healthy drizzle of fresh olive oil added just before serving adds to the richness in flavor. The simplicity of this soup requires no garnish, but I personally love to garnish this soup with croutes, fresh parsley, sautéed mushrooms and a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white wine or sherry
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1 cup green or brown lentils (rinsed and stones and debris discarded)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2-3 small red potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add the onions, celery and carrots and sauté for approximately 7 minutes until tender and the onions are golden in color.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Get full recipe==>>theharvestkitchen.com