The BEST homemade German Chocolate Cake with layers of coconut pecan frosting and chocolate frosting. This cake is incredible!
WHAT IS GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE?
The name German chocolate cake is a little deceiving as it is not actually a German dessert and traditionally the cake is a lighter colored cake with a mild chocolate taste and the entire cake is usually covered in coconut pecan frosting. My families version is a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting covering the cake and coconut frosting on top and in the center of the cake. This cake seriously can’t be beat, especially if you’re a chocolate lover!
SOME TIPS FOR THIS CAKE:
USE ROOM TEMPERATURE INGREDIENTS.
Run hot water over the eggs to bring them to room temperature. Stick the buttermilk in the microwave for just a few seconds. It really makes a difference!
MAKE IT IN ADVANCE!
I like to make the cake, coconut frosting and chocolate frosting at least one day in advance. That way, the cake is really easy to throw together.
I make the cake in 8” or 9” rounds, bake it and let it cool completely. Then I wrap it really well in plastic wrap and stick each layer in a ziplock freezer bag. Freeze for up to one month. Frozen cakes are very easy to frost!
Both frostings (coconut and chocolate) can be made ahead and placed in a covered container in the fridge. Remove them from the fridge about an hour or so before you’re ready to frost your cake. This will allow them to come to room temperature and they will be easier to frost.
DECORATING IS EASY!
I used a wilton 2D tip for the swirls on top of this cake. SO EASY. I also love the Wilton 1M tip. I use both tips with an Ateco flex 14” reusable piping bag. Those three items right there are my favorites for cake and cupcake decorating.
STORE IT COVERED, IN THE FRIDGE.
I have found that German Chocolate cake tastes best when it is stored in the fridge.
You could make this cake with a box-mix, but the homemade version is AMAZING and seriously easy to make. But you know me… everything tastes better from scratch.
I hope you enjoy this delicious cake!
Ingredients:For the Chocolate Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil , canola or vegetable
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Coconut Frosting:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped Pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease two 8 or 9-inch round baking pans. I like to cut a round piece of wax or parchment paper for the bottom of the pan also, to make sure the cake comes out easily.
For the Cake:
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Stir in boiling water (batter will be very thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 - 35 minutes (depending on your cake pan size. The 9'' pan takes less time to bake) or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with few crumbs. Cool 5 minutes in the pan and then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Get full recipe==>>tastesbetterfromscratch.com