Packed with flavour, real ingredients and vibrant colours, one pot Spanish chicken and rice is the perfect no fuss, no clean up weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or 1 lb.), cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup long grain white rice, rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce (canned or homemade)
- pinch of saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup small stuffed green olives with pimento
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet or pot. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5-6 minutes until chicken begins to slightly brown.
- Add onion, red pepper and garlic and cook for a few minutes until they slightly soften.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in the paprika and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add chicken stock and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and add the saffron. Cover the skillet and cook for 25 minutes until the rice is fully cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, olives and cilantro. Toss and serve with a lemon wedge.