This vegan jamaican beef patty is SO authentic tasting that you will never even miss the meat! It's the best vegan recipe this side of the Caribbean- try and prove me wrong!!
- 4 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable shortening (make sure it’s vegan)
- ½ cup vegan butter, cold
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 ½ Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp salt
Vegan Beef Filling:
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1½ cups chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 pound vegan ground beef substitute
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 green onion/scallions, finely chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons Jamaican rum
- almond milkor soy milkfor brushing
- Sift the flour, turmeric, and salt into a large bowl. I used my stand mixer and the whisk blade.
- Using two knives, a pastry blender, or in my case my pastry blade, cut in the shortening and butter until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Working quickly, add small amounts of water to form a firm dough. Do not over water or overwork.
- Get full recipe==>>theedgyveg.com