This "Oven Fried" homemade southern fried chicken is better than anything you've ever had on the stove, and ready in less than half the time. You can use that extra time to make the mac and cheese you forgot to make last night. Enjoy!
- 6 pieces ‘bone-in’ chicken (legs and thighs are best)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup buttermilk
- oil spray
- Heat oven to 375º.
- Cover a baking pan in non-stick aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl combine flour, panko, season salt, pepper, cayenne, and Italian seasoning.
- Pour buttermilk into a separate, medium sized bowl.
- First, coat the chicken in buttermilk, then the flour mixture (making sure both sides are evenly coated) Then dip into flour mixture, coating both sides well.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Spray chicken with oil spray, and continue cooking for 15 more minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165º.
- Cool for a few minutes and serve! Enjoy!