Avocado Pasta. The creamy sauce is made with avocado, Greek yogurt, lemon and garlic. Add any of your favorite veggies, chicken, or bacon for an easy, healthy meal!
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta I used orecchiette
- 1 pound asparagus tough ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium ripe avocado halved and peeled with the pit removed
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus additional for cooking the pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small green onions thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Freshly grated Parmesan optional for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta. About 3 minutes before the pasta is due to finish cooking to al dente (according to package instructions), add the asparagus and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, drain the pasta, and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, prepare the sauce. Add the avocado, garlic, Greek yogurt, parsley, basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a food processor or blender. Process on high for 20 to 30 seconds, until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium low. Add the green onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until soft. Add the arugula and peas and cook another 2 minutes, until the arugula is wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the drained pasta and asparagus. Add the avocado sauce and toss gently to combine, adding a bit of the reserved pasta water as needed if the pasta is too thick or clumping together. Taste and add additional salt and/or pepper as desired. Serve immediately.