A savory, bubbling vegan mushroom pot pie with a whole-wheat puff pastry crust and a filling of peas, carrots, and two kinds of mushroom, all tied together by savory herbs.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (either store-bought or made at home using this recipe. For the whole wheat puff pastry crust just substitute all of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour and proceed as directed)
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 oz dry shiitake mushrooms, slice the mushrooms and before slicing, reconstitute the mushrooms by placing them in a bowl and covering with 1 cup of very hot water. I place a glass or other weight on top because the mushrooms have a tendency to float. Leave alone for 30 minutes, then drain the mushrooms and reserve the soaking liquid.
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 medium carrots cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large red onion cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 ribs of celery cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp raw cashews, soaked in 1/2 cup of water for 30 minutes, then blended to a smooth paste
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh, savory herbs, like rosemary, thyme, and/or sage. If using dried herbs, use a total of 2 tsp.
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Place both kinds of mushrooms in a bowl and add ground black pepper, salt to taste, and the all purpose flour. Toss well to mix.
- Heat the 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms to the pan and saute for a couple of minutes, or until the mushrooms start to soften and brown slightly. Remove to a bowl.
- In the same pot, add the remaining 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Get full recipe==>>holycowvegan.net