This Chicken Quinoa Soup is an updated version of your favorite classic soup. All the flavors of chicken noodle soup are there, but healthy quinoa takes the place of noodles, and we love it just as much.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 celery ribs, cut in half length wise, and then sliced diagonally
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cups quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cups shredded/chopped cooked chicken
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stock, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, the bay leaf, and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and quinoa and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the quinoa is cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and allow to cook a few minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving. Enjoy!