These steak rolls are made using every day ingredients like salt and pepper (or add your fav seasonings) and filled with diced red onions, mushrooms and spinach. No need to butterfly these gems. Cheesy crisp crusted cheese forms on the top and bottom of the steak rolls. You are going to love these steak rolls! Looking for a recipe to wow your friends and family? This is it!
- salt for taste
- pepper for taste
- 2 small red onions diced
- a couple handfuls of spinach
- 1 lb beef sirloin steak
- 8-10 slices of Provolone cheese slices
- 1-2 cups of mushrooms diced
- 2-3 tsp butter or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Flatten out the steak then season both sides with salt and pepper (and/or your favorite seasonings of your choice). Set to the side.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat. Add butter or vegetable oil. Once you hear sizzling add the onions and mushrooms and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the stove then add the spinach and mix it up until wilted. Alternatively, you can wait to add the raw spinach on top of the steak.
- Add the onion, mushroom and spinach mixture onto the flattened steak but do not spread the mixture too close to the edges (see photo below) You want to leave a one inch border.
- At this point, if you haven't added the spinach to the skillet, you can add the raw spinach on top of the onion mixture. Place the provolone cheese on top of the spinach and onion mixture.
- Roll the steak up away from you carefully but tightly. Once rolled up, push the skewer through the seam, then all the way into the other side of the steak leaving about two inches between each skewer. You can also use twine if you have it. I didn't have any short skewers so I used my long ones and broke them in half.
- If using twine, you want to roll up as usual then tie every two inches with kitchen twine. Carefully cut in between (in the middle) of the twine or skewers. Add another tsp of oil or butter to the same skillet you used to cook the onions and mushrooms (if needed). Heat pan over medium high heat. Once you hear sizzling, add the steak rolls and cook each side for about 3 minutes.
- Place skillet into the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes. Since the steak is pretty thin, make sure you check them after 5 minutes, to prevent the steak from overcooking. Serve with salad.