Chickpeas, lentils, and plenty of aromatics join forces in a comforting soup with rich depth of flavor. This hearty vegetarian main is brimming with plant-powered protein, fiber, and good-for-you nutrients.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups (32 oz.) unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast for topping (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook 3 minutes, until softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add tomato paste, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add lentils, stock, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, until lentils are al dente.
- Add chickpeas and kale; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes, until kale is wilted. Stir in lime and crushed red pepper, if desired. Spoon into bowls and top with parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.